11.18.2011

The Lies We Tell.....

I've read the poem below on several other blogs and websites throughout the past year, but it never really hit home until recently. In day-to-day travels, people always ask one another, "How are you?" In brief encounters the reply is always always a "Good./Great./Fine. How are you?" Some people often linger a little longer to see if I'm going to spill my guts, but start to walk away as soon as I elude to Leah or life. (And believe me, I know that some people just don't have the time, don't know what to say, or just can't handle it.) And then... there are my saviors that when they ask "How are you?".... they really mean it. They care enough to stand there or sit on the phone and listen to our ups and downs. Those "How are you's" almost always end with a hug and me feeling much better... that I (we) didn't have to lie.

I can't leave this post with just tring to blame my lying on others folks. Sometimes, it's because I want to or have to. In the grocery store checkout... Is he (Bryce) your only child? Does he have any brothers or sisters? And the worst question.... "How many children do you have?" Is it bad to say that it depends on the time and place? How many details I want to share? Will I ever see the person again? Do I want to say "2, but my daughter is in Heaven?" And then have the stunned person not know what to say? Then, there are sometimes that people just ask way too many personal and intimate questions... And I have to draw the line somewhere. So yes, with no disrespect for my family or Leah, I do... sometimes.... Lie.

MY MOM LIES
Author Unknown

My mom, she tells a lot of lies.
She never did before.
From now until she dies,
She'll tell a whole lot more.

Ask my mom how she is.
And because she can't explain,
She will tell a little lie
Because she can't describe the pain.

Ask my mom how she is.
She'll say "I'm alright."
If that's the truth then tell me,
Why does she cry each night?

Ask my mom how she is.
She seems to cope so well.
She didn't have a choice you see,
Nor the strength to yell

Ask my mom how she is.
"I'm fine. I'm well. I'm coping."
For God sake's, Mom, just tell the truth.
Just say your heart is broken.

She'll love me all her life.
I loved her all of mine.
But if you ask her how she is,
She'll lie and say she's fine

I am here in Heaven.
I cannot hug from here.
If she lies to you, don't listen,
Hug her and hold her near.

On the day we meet again,
We'll smile and I'll be bold.
I'll say "You're lucky to get in here, Mom,
With all the lies you told."


1 comment:

Avery's Mommy and Daddy said...

I posted this on my facebook.....it's sooo true. Could you imagine how people would react if you told them your heart was bleeding for your child? Eric is coming to Fl with me in Jan. We plan to stay the weekend in Orlando, we MUST meet up! That is my number 1 priority for that trip!