So I have an affinity for books. Maybe it's because I'm a teacher or maybe it's because I love the way that new books smell and feel. I have a problem of just picking up a book if it has a cute cover, interesting title, or just "looks good" and buying it without reading any further what it's about or even leafing through it. Before Bryce was born, his book collection had already been started. I have added to it on his 1st Christmas, 1st birthday and every holiday in-between. Then, of course there's the books I pick up at our school book fairs, Border's giant tent sales, and whenever we're out shopping. This Christmas, as I was shopping for Bryce and Leah, I decided that I had to start Leah's collection too.
I picked up a book called, "God Gave Us You" with cute bears on the front and thought that it would just be perfect. I only opened up the cover and saw the little bears with angel wings floating across the pages. I stated to cry in the store as I put the book in the shopping cart and continued my shopping. As I was wrapping her gifts, I wrote her a message on the inside from her Daddy and I (just like I do with most of Bryce's books), wrapped it and put it under the tree. About a week after Christmas, when I was finally getting the gifts put away, I decided that I should read the book to her and Bryce. I cannot even begin to tell you how PERFECT the book was to our situation. (In the story the little girl asks her Mommy about where she came from and if her parents ever wanted a different baby. She answers everything the Mommy says with "Why?" And the Mommy always says that she came from God and they never wanted a different baby "because God gave us you.") I cried the entire way through it because we have never asked God for a different baby (and won't ever), just to let us get to know Leah as much as we can and for her to know that we love her. The place where I lost it and realized that I did choose this particular book for more than the picture or the title is the page where the Mommy says "Every night, I prayed for you, my special child. I prayed that your bones would be straight and your heart would be strong. But most of all, I prayed that someday you would love God." "I love God," the Little Cub said proudly. "I know," said Mama. "I do too." I began to think that maybe I didn't pray enough for Leah to be healthy or pray specifically that her bones would be straight or her heart and lungs would be strong. But to think of my little Leah saying that she loves God gives me strength because she is going to know God and His love first hand. And I know that hopefully someday, I will understand why God wanted her back so soon. I read the book to her often to let her know that no matter what we wouldn't trade her for any other baby or wish for a different baby because " God gave us YOU." We love her more than anything and have enjoyed every second, minute, and day of getting to know her! I know that time with her has been God's gift to us!
I picked up a book called, "God Gave Us You" with cute bears on the front and thought that it would just be perfect. I only opened up the cover and saw the little bears with angel wings floating across the pages. I stated to cry in the store as I put the book in the shopping cart and continued my shopping. As I was wrapping her gifts, I wrote her a message on the inside from her Daddy and I (just like I do with most of Bryce's books), wrapped it and put it under the tree. About a week after Christmas, when I was finally getting the gifts put away, I decided that I should read the book to her and Bryce. I cannot even begin to tell you how PERFECT the book was to our situation. (In the story the little girl asks her Mommy about where she came from and if her parents ever wanted a different baby. She answers everything the Mommy says with "Why?" And the Mommy always says that she came from God and they never wanted a different baby "because God gave us you.") I cried the entire way through it because we have never asked God for a different baby (and won't ever), just to let us get to know Leah as much as we can and for her to know that we love her. The place where I lost it and realized that I did choose this particular book for more than the picture or the title is the page where the Mommy says "Every night, I prayed for you, my special child. I prayed that your bones would be straight and your heart would be strong. But most of all, I prayed that someday you would love God." "I love God," the Little Cub said proudly. "I know," said Mama. "I do too." I began to think that maybe I didn't pray enough for Leah to be healthy or pray specifically that her bones would be straight or her heart and lungs would be strong. But to think of my little Leah saying that she loves God gives me strength because she is going to know God and His love first hand. And I know that hopefully someday, I will understand why God wanted her back so soon. I read the book to her often to let her know that no matter what we wouldn't trade her for any other baby or wish for a different baby because " God gave us YOU." We love her more than anything and have enjoyed every second, minute, and day of getting to know her! I know that time with her has been God's gift to us!
No comments:
Post a Comment