12.28.2010

I Love My Doctor

Actual Date: December 13, 2010: Today was my 23 week check-up. Everything is still going well with both myself and the baby. I had a very candid conversation with my Doctor today and was very surprised with her honesty and compassion. We discussed the results of the amino, the genetic counseling, and the follow-up with the specialist. She wanted to make sure I understood everything that was happening and if I had any other questions. (More questions are all my mind is filled with at this point. It seems like every time I get new information or get a question answered, I have another question!) We did discuss doing a VBAC vs. a c-section. My concern with the c-section is that I didn't get to hold Bryce until about an hour & a half after he was born. If I'm only going to have that time with my Leah, I want it all! I also remember being groggy from the meds I was given for the c-section, and want to remember every little second of my time with Leah. She said that either way, she will do what I want. There are benefits and risks to both, but that I am a good candidate for a VBAC if that's what I choose (but I would have to go into labor on my own). I wanted to know what was going to happen to Leah after she was born and what types of measures were appropriate to help her and what was considered "going too far" to keep her alive. We don't want to cause her any more pain and/or suffering than is necessary, but we also want to do everything possible, if there are options. She recommended visiting with a pediatric genetic counselor who could guide us with these decisions. She would call & make an appointment for us. She asked if it was okay for me to finish out my pregnancy with her as my primary doctor and to avoid meeting with all of the other doctors. She promised me that as long as she was in the state of Florida when I went into labor or had the c-section, that she would be there. "We started this together, let's finish this together." I could've hugged her! (And I think I did afterwards.) The last thing she told me was that she was "very impressed with our decision to go full term." This really meant a lot to me because I have read stories from other parents in our situation who've had to go to other practices and even other states to find care to continue with a lethal pregnancy. I feel completely comfortable with my Doctor and I know that she is going to guide us in the right direction!

No comments: